Friday, September 28, 2018

Why Write?

People write for a myriad of reasons. 

And I get asked quite consistently why do I write. 

My normal, go-to reason is because I'm not good at anything else. It is simple, relatively true, and either gets people to change the subject or they start arguing with me that I have other gifts. Which I generally just roll my eyes to.

I am aware that writing is not the only thing I am good at, but it IS the thing I'm good at that I enjoy the most. Even when I'm suffering from a belief that I can't even put a functional sentence together. 

What are words even? 

But writing, no matter what kind of writing I am doing at the moment, is one of those things that helps me clear my head. It helps me think things through. It helps me keep from becoming completely antisocial. 

I write this blog because what I have to say isn't unique to me. I know that. My journey, although it has different aspects that makes it MY journey, I hope that others stumble upon the blog and it helps remind them that growth at any time is possible. You can always work to become a better you. Whether it is in similar ways to me, in growing healthier mentally and physically. Or if it differs drastically. This blog is here to share my experiences. 

I write because I love stories. I always have. Stories help me express my ideas and they help me work through different things. Stories help me escape. 

I write because it's easier to express my thoughts through written words than spoken ones. 

I write because I like to create things and no matter how hard I try I can't draw or sculpt or really anything of that sort. Although I am getting better at looking at something and turning it into something tangible in front of me (such as the silhouette of a witch riding a broomstick out of cardboard at work), I'm a long way away from being able to consider myself "crafty."

I write to explore. Explore this world and others of my own creation. Explore my mind. Explore the different aspects that make other people who they are.

I write to see different sides of things. 

I write to continue learning. It doesn't matter what you write. You'll constantly be learning new things, about yourself, about others, about new things, about old things, about everything.

I write to have an excuse to step out of my comfort zone. Even if I am trying to grow as a person and get out of my comfort zone and I don't actually need a reason to do that, sometimes people look at you oddly. But if you add "hey, I'm a writer and I need to know what this experience is like," it adds some credibility to it.

I write to be able to make a positive out of everything. I mentioned not too long ago that I got my first jellyfish sting and was strangely excited about it. I was excited about it because if I ever wanted to write about a character who got something similar to a jellyfish sting, I'd be able to accurately. Anything negative that happens at all can be twisted into, this is a good experience to know what it's like so I can write more efficiently.

I write to keep my sanity. My mind is constantly working. It throws out so many different possibilities to anything and everything I might ever consider doing. It throws out different things that very likely won't occur. 

I write to write. It's fun. I enjoy it. I am pretty good at it (most of the time). That is really all the reason I need to do it. 

I don't write to make money (yet). Someday, I do hope to help pay my bills (or pay in the entirety) with my writing, but at this point I still just write because I enjoy it. 

Why do you write? Tell me in the comments!

Until next time,
Shelby

2 comments:

  1. I write for all the same reasons you listed above. I am also intrigued that writing pulls in higher consciousness that I may otherwise be unaware of. I love that you put into words all the things I would want to say. And... I like that you are using blogger, which I use, too. I just hit 'Follow' so my face appears on your right hand column, although I had somehow subscribed to your emails which is how I got this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely an important part of writing!

      Thank you for following! I use blogger because of the different blogging websites, this is one of the easier to use websites :)

      Delete