Friday, January 1, 2016

A New Year, A New Me.

Since it is over, I can finally say it: 2015 is officially labeled the worst year of my life (so far).

It's weird because it followed 2014, which was such an amazing year, I never anticipated anything could go wrong. 1 January 2015, I was happy. I was confident. I knew who I was and where I was going. Nothing could bring me down.

Then I hit a wall. Forcefully. And then another one. And then I fell down into a gaping hole, that I doubt I've hit the bottom of yet. But I've found a root, maybe a large rock, maybe even someone’s hand in the side of the hole.

And I'm clinging to it.

Now, don't get me wrong, when compared to some people (okay, quite a few people) my life is great. I've got a Bachelor’s Degree from a great college; I've got two parents who are still together who love me and are willing to allow me to live with them until I've paid off my school loans; and I've got a job that I adore (most days).

The thing is, I've noticed something about myself.

I am a reactionary character in my own story.

That's not good. I have all of these plans and goals, but I'll never be able to accomplish them as a reactionary. Unless I'm also incredibly lucky at least.

But I don't want to-- no, I can't count on luck the rest of my life. I need to alter certain things about me before I can even hope to alter anything about the world (because I, like so many others, hope to do something to change the world, even if that means inspiring just one person).

So I'm going to become an Actionary Character. (No, that does not mean become an activist-- although depending on circumstances, that could come later.)

Step one is to better myself: physically, mentally, as a writer, and in any other way I can. I want to become the best person I can be.

Hence this blog. This will be my chronicles to becoming a better Shelby. My overall goal is to update it each week with a specific goal for that week. I plan to get fit, to learn to take risks, to face my fears. My plan is to do things.

I don't quite know where this will take me, but I hope in a positive direction.

Welcome to the Journey to a Better Shelby.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, am going to try to better myself. I know it's really a solitary journey, something I have to come to terms with myself; but maybe we can walk side by side in out journeys.

    ReplyDelete