Thursday, January 11, 2018

A New View

Sometimes it seems as though the world is passing me by and I'm just stuck in one place, one time, nothing changing, but everything changing. 

I know I've been working pretty diligently at growing and becoming the best me I can be, but it recently hit me. One of the simplest things I can do I've not. 

As a reader, books have really shaped who I am as a person. But I rarely step outside of my comfort zone of sci-fi/fantasy. Don't get me wrong, I do read other things every so often. But it is always fiction. 

The last nonfiction book I read was for college. I've been out of college for... Almost four years now. Wait. No. I read Stephen King's On Writing a couple years back. But didn't finish it. 

So each month this year, I plan to read a nonfiction book. Subject doesn't matter, although the first one is going to be a history book. On my Facebook, I recently asked people for their favorite choices and if I can get my hands on them, I'll likely read the options. 

I do want to read a couple self help books, but there are so many I've no idea where to start. But I've got an idea I want to pursue with that (but I'll talk about that if I do actually wind up doing it). 

It's such a simple way to break out of my shell and take a step out of my comfort zone, I've no idea why I haven't thought of it before. 

If you have any suggestions of your favorite nonfiction book, please feel free to comment on here! 

Until next time,
Shelby 

3 comments:

  1. I've been cruising through your blog, skimming your posts, and I smiled a bit because there's many aspects of you that remind me of me--the self-reflection, analyzing habits and approaches, exercise, dogs, self-experimentation to see the effects and what works best... I'd be interested in seeing what your personality type is.

    Anyways, one of the nonfiction books I constantly return to is The 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. I wasn't a fan of his other book, The 4-Hour Work Week, but that's mostly because I found him skeezy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen his books come in pretty consistently and keep meaning to pick one up to flip through at least.

      I believe my Meyer-Briggs type is INFP. Or J. I can't remember which XD

      What is yours?

      Delete
    2. I'm an ISTJ myself.

      I find Tim Ferriss a bit full of himself in his books, but I do like all the self-experimentation he did with exercise and diet. I think the only other non-fiction books I keep going back to are writing related, such as Save the Cat!.

      Delete