Monday, February 5, 2018

Fresh Face February 2.0 (and this month's writing prompt)

I can't believe it is February already. There are only eleven months left in 2018.

This is the year I finish paying off my Fed Loans, so I'm super excited about that.

I did my first drawing for my Basket of Prompts thing and the writing prompt I drew was....

Drum roll please!

The Bogeyman.

As soon as I drew it I began writing because a story filled my head and I was so excited about that story I finished it in about an hour. Aw man, I was proud of that thing. It was creative and unique and I couldn't believe I came up with it so quickly and easily.

Then I reread it and things about it seemed so familiar. Moreso than having just written it.

So I started digging into things.

Turns out I wrote something remarkably similar to it back in college. Even the names were the same. There was enough of a difference to be a blessing to tell it was a new telling of it.

But that just goes to show sometimes stories are determined to have your attention.

I'm trying to think of a way to share the stories I create this year without actually publishing them so they can't be submitted to writing competitions or literary magazines or something.

Fresh Face February is back!

I always forget how much extra time I have in the mornings when I'm not putting make up on. It's crazy.

This year is slightly different than last year though.

Overall I'm attempting to use less chemicals on my skin (and in my life) so I've been on the lookout for face washes that lack chemicals. Have any suggestions?

Sorry this post has been a bit disjointed.

Until next time (which will likely be the first progress report of the year)
Shelby

P.S. happy 30th anniversary to my lovely parents!

3 comments:

  1. Woot for finishing the story in an hour! That's awesome. I think my quickest short story was done in four hours.

    I don't know about outlets for publishing your work with keeping submissions in mind. I haven't played much with Wattpad to know what the rules are with that and how publishers view the use of it, but that was the first thing that came to mind. I have a couple of stories on my website, but one I have no intention of publishing since it was experimental flash fiction, and then the other one has already been published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I have gathered, Wattpad is considered published, so that would take it out of the running for real publication.

      Haha the getting it done in an hour freaked me out. But when I think that it can be considered a 4th draft it makes so much more sense.

      What is your website? I'd love to read some of your stuff!

      Delete
    2. I'm at lonitownsend.com. I've only got a couple pieces there listed under Books > Free to Read, and the flash fiction piece does assume some familiarity with the world I've built. But I've found you can read my entire short story (the 4 hour one) in the Kindle preview for the anthology FULL DARK.

      Hmm about Wattpad. I'm not sure what else to suggest there.

      Delete