Monday, April 18, 2016

What to Do??

Today is going quite drastically different than I anticipated it to go. I knew the weather was going to be rough, but I didn't actually think work was going to be cancelled. But it happened.

So my "to-do" plan changed rapidly.

As soon as I struggled home through the pouring rain and rumbling thunder, I took a nap. Sort of. Ricky, the dog, woke me up this morning about three or four, and then wouldn't let me fall back to sleep, the silly dog. So I laid down after I got home and dried off, and just chilled. I wasn't able to fall asleep or anything, but still.

So then I went about with what I was planning on doing, only many, many hours before the original intention.

Which is why this blog is being posted so early today!

Today's post is about what to do when you've finished your first draft because, guess what everyone! I have officially finished the first draft of my WIP! It is a weird feeling. It had gotten to the point where all my free time when I was reading, working, or sleeping, I was writing. The first draft ended up being 213 pages, 105142 words, and I can't believe I was able to finish it!

For those out there attempting and struggling as I did to write the first draft of a novel, don't give up. It is possible. But when it is done, remember, just because the first draft is done, doesn't mean your work is done. Honestly it has just begun.

The first step is writing a first draft.

So what do you do when it is done?



  • Celebrate! The first thing to do when you've finished your first draft is to celebrate. This is a big accomplishment! Even if you feel like what you've just finished is the biggest pile of poop you've ever seen, that's okay. 
    • I celebrated by giving myself the okay to buy a new outfit and a new toy for Hathor. Right now, I've been searching for a nice new outfit, but it is harder than I anticipated!
  • Ignore the Draft. Once the first draft is done, everything I have read is to leave it alone for a bit. Completely ignore it. Keep ignoring it until you can go for a bit of time without cringing about what all needs to be changed. That can be anywhere from a day to a year.
    • So far, this is the step I am on and it is incredibly difficult. I've been trying to focus on other things, like rereading Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, but it isn't working too well. My brain forced me to try and write an outline to the first draft, but I failed and it ended up upsetting me a lot more than I wish. There is an outline there in the draft, but there are so many inconsistencies that it is ridiculous. So, I started working on the outline to another story that has been making its way around my brain for awhile. 
  • Read it through, but don't edit it. Take notes on what you need to change, on how things can be improved. 
  • Read it again, this time with a different format, be it printed out or on kindle or whatever. 
  • Rewrite, edit, make improvements.
  • Repeat the last three steps a couple of times.
  • Let a Beta Reader (or ten) read the draft. 
    • Make sure to use readers who are going to give honest critiques. If they aren't going to be honest, how can you improve? 
    • But don't take what they say to heart. They want to help your work become better. Hopefully they aren't just tearing your work apart just to tear your work apart. They might make you feel as though you are the worst writer in the world, so bad in fact that you shouldn't even claim the title of writer. Don't let it discourage you. 
  • Taking the critiques into consideration, do a few more drafts. 
  • Repeat the last two steps until you feel prepared to face the cruel, cruel world of literary agents and their rejection letters.
  • Create an incredible Query Letter. 
  • Get a few (or a lot) of rejection letters. 
    • From what I have been able to gather, if an agent responds to your query with tips, follow them. Most people just receive stock rejection letters. A personalized note is a good sign. 
  • Get an Agent.
    • Since I've not gotten to this point, I'll have to get back to you on what to do after you get the agent. 

Hopefully this has been at least somewhat helpful to someone. I'm going to continue to let my work rest, since I am nowhere near the point of letting my mind drift away from it. 

Until Next Time,
Shelby Hild

No comments:

Post a Comment