Monday, February 22, 2016

Staying Patient

Since I've been doing quite a bit of writing recently, my running has been pushed to the back-burner (not permanently, just until I feel in a better place to take breaks from writing more than just to go to work). Although I do need to at some point really buckle-down on my time management, I have stuck to my diet for the most part. 

Recently I have added an element to my tasks becoming a Better Shelby, so that I do feel like I'm still achieving something. This is the mental element of being kinder and complaining less.

 This week, I am officially adding something else to that list that I have been working towards: be more patient with people. Both to what they can see and what goes on in my mind.

So I have a list of six tips of what has helped me in the past, and what will hopefully help me continue.



1.) Take three deep breaths before saying anything while flustered or frustrated. This gives a chance for any mean or overly sarcastic statement to evaporate.

2.) Remember others are dealing with their own issues. They might (and probably do) have something going on in their lives that is making them short or not terribly considerate of others. I tend to be creepy and try to imagine everyone's lives around me, especially if I don't know anything about them. Sometimes I am actually really good at figuring it out because there are so many people who if you ask if they are finding everything they will take that as "tell me everything about you," and then they go on to tell me a lot. Although that is something I do enjoy, when I am trying to get work done but don't want to be rude, it can be a bit of a problem. 

3.) Get plenty of sleep. When a person gets the proper amount of sleep, not too much, not too little, then it is easier to cope with the repetitive struggles of everyday life. I've not been as successful doing this recently, but I still try!

4.) Don't let yourself get too hungry. There is a term for people who are so hungry they are angry. That word is hangry. Snickers has it right when they say "you're not yourself when you're hungry." And it is true. It is much more difficult to deal with a person on an empty stomach. 

5.) Be willing to learn. Most people are stubborn and don't like change or anything different from them. If you enjoy learning new things, when things aren't going how you want them it is so much easier to view it as a new opportunity to learn something. It makes difficult situations easier to deal with. 

6.) Don't let the small stuff get you down. Little things have a tendency to seem much bigger than they are. If you take a moment and see how this will alter the big picture, then it can help put things in perspective. If it is something big, then deal with it. If it isn't, then still deal with it, but don't let it bring your whole day crashing down into a giant pile of burning, stinking rubble. If you can, don't even let it be a blip on your good/bad day radar. 

They aren't life shattering tips, but they have been helping me out these days. Hopefully they'll help you out too.

What are things that help you stay calm? Comment below!

Until next time,
Shelby Hild

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could say go for a walk, but I guess I kind of retreat into myself. But as you know, staying calm for me can sometimes be very, very difficult. I also kind of retreat into the alternate worlds of a couple of video games. :)

    ReplyDelete